Captain's Diary ... Arrival




It was not easy to leave my family and join my ship at Lazaro Cardenas  but, this is the  profession I love and I take my responsibilities as a Ship's Captain seriously.  I left home around 9.00PM US-EST on May 14th. I used the usual cab, driven by Hector, who has been serving us for the last four years.

I flew to Mexico city by AeroMexico. Once I boarded the airplane I felt that I was already in Mexico. Such a wonderful place of friendly men and women and I especially enjoy their music.  I'm always happy to return.

After a bumpy five hour flight the plane touched down at Mexico city airport, on-time.

The agent was there to meet me. At the airport I met up with two other crew members who were travelling from Sri Lanka to join the same ship. I was happy to have some company. Thereafter, we took the connecting flight to Lazaro Cardenas.

There was a surprise waiting for us at the airport. Unfortunately it was not a pretty Mexican girl waiting to greet us!! The baggage of my two crew members had not arrived on the same airplane.

Well, well well... I haven't even boarded my ship and I've already started work. I requested that the agents get the missing bags on the evening flight the same day. And they did it! Bravo!

I came on board.   At the gangway was the familiar face of a crew member watching the main entrance point to the vessel.  He sailed with me on the same ship last year.


to be continued.

1 comment: