Captain's Diary: Today, 18.07.2012, the vessel was ready to sail from Lazaro Cardenas, Mexico.



As  I browsed through the ship's emails I found one flagged urgent: Please tell, Nandana, Able Bodied Seaman to call home immediately.

The crew member was at the wheel at the time of sailing. I waited until the Pilot left and the ship was out of approach channel. Once everything was okay, I conveyed the message to Nandana. 

This crew member at that time did not have $ 30 to buy a satellite phone card. But I arranged that for him. Next thing I knew was he called his wife… And,few minutes later,appeared in front of me in my cabin, he looked devastated and told
me: “Sir, my father has passed away. He was 97 years old but was fit enough to do all his work. My brother who is there will take care of the funeral-proceedings.” 

I could see Nandana was devastated.  I tried to console him. ”You know, before we all came out to sea by taking-up these jobs we knew very well that sooner or later we might have to face such a situation,"  I continued, "I faced this same situation on dry land when I was sitting for my Master’s exam in Sydney, Australia. I finished the first paper and returned home when I received the sad news that my father had passed away.
 
What  am I to do. I worried. I just could not abandon the exam and return to Sri Lanka. My father was a living God to me, and I could not attend his funeral…

So, he listened to me very carefully, but tears were poring down his cheeks. My heart went out to him.  What came to my mind was the song:  “Nearer my God to thee….’
 
This is the life of a seafarer; just one small incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment