Captain's Diary ... Life And Its Changing Waves of Fury



It was a fine Saturday evening in the month of February in 1975. Our vessel was double-banked on the starboard side to another which was berthed alongside in the port of Karachi.

Our cargo was discharging into barges. I was engaged in my routine Cadet’s duties. I thanked God above that the Chief Officer at that time was a kind gentleman who did not gain any pleasure in the fears and miseries of Cadets. Hence, we Cadets were not given a hard time.

The only time the Chief Officer made me jitter however during our stay in Karachi was when he borrowed my shore pass and galloped happily away for horse racing.

Indian crew were not allowed ashore in Pakistani ports, and the same rules applied to Pakistanis in Indian ports. It was not very pleasant, but that was the policy of the respective governments during that time.

However, this was how it was in the era gone by.

The Master of the vessel was Captain Chris Naire. His original name had been Krishnan Nair but had changed it before he got married to his long -time fiancĂ©e, who was a Christian from Bangalore. That however was the power of love…

To us he was Captain Chris Naire. Before he joined the merchant navy he had been an officer in the Indian Navy, a Commander by rank.

Anyway on this Saturday – the time was around 1800hrs. I was getting ready to go ashore with the Radio Office when there was a hard knock on my door. It was the third officer.

“Hey, where the hell are you trying to go?” he yelled as soon as the door was opened.
“The Chief Officer wants you to put up a small table on the boat deck – port side and get three chairs, some glasses, now I don’t have to give you the entire list. Get going!” He bellowed before he disappeared.

It was my one Saturday off – and with it the golden opportunity to go out and explore.

“Well, life is like that,” I sighed resignedly.

But the working spirit reigned supreme in me. I changed my attire immediately and informed the Radio Officer of the latest developments.

“Don’t change your clothes, the Mate invited me for a drink. When I meet him there, I will put in a word on your behalf.  It should work!” he assured.

I thanked him and rushed to the boat deck. When the task was done, I informed the Chief Officer. He gave me a bottle of scotch and some beers to be placed on the table.

The Chief Officer, Purser and Radio Officer came in. And the party gathered momentum. I was on ‘stand by’ a task that largely involved replenishing the disappearing stocks.

It all began with a serene quietness and then partying picked up. Thereafter it became notably noisy. The Sri Lankans on the vessel were the Radio Officer, Purser and I. The Purser, Anton Jayasuriya had been a Chief Petty officer in the Sri Lanka Navy. He had joined the merchant navy following his early retirement from the Navy.

Anton was different. He stammered. It was more pronounced, when he was angry or excited.

I was very unhappy about what had happened to me. But my distress seemed to be short lived! My ears picked up  the Radio Officer obtaining permission from the Chief Officer to take us  -- the two cadets   out on Sunday. It was great – very great,  indeed.

The Captain came out and saw partying threesome. He did not join them but said, ”Mate you and Sparks come to my cabin and we will continue.” I did not hear him inviting the Purser. “Well,” I thought, “individual invitations may not be necessary.”

I could not help but observe that the relationship between the Captain and the Purser were purely official.

While turning back to go into the accommodation, the Captain looked at me and said, ”You better continue your good work -- organize everything in my day room.” I ran-up and began arranging the drinks. The Captain walked in with the Chief officer and Radio officer. He knew that the Purser was not there but apparently did not care to call him.

The three were just settling for the first drink in there when the Purser walked in and sat down. I did not waste any time but offered him a glass. He grabbed it and poured himself a drink, and said “Cheers, sir!”

The Captain was silent and looked somewhat uncomfortable too. When the time was up for the second drink, while replenishing his glass the Captain looked directly at the Purser, chuckled, with an egotistical note said  "You know Anton, this is the first time, I am having a drink with a Purser!”
 

Anton nodded. I wonder whether he really accepted and agreed with the essence of the statement or was merely being polite.

The message of this single statement of the master hit me instantly. The others were trying to absorb it all and were looking at each other almost wondering whether they heard right.
Anton served himself another drink, and gestured to the Captain to stop what he was saying. And then with painful difficulty slithered the words,” Sirrrrrr, thisisis thethethe firrrrrrrst taaaaaime I aaaaam aaaaammmm haaaaavving aaa driiiiinkkkk wiiiith aaa Caaapttaaain.”


“There you  are Anton, then you must thank me for tolerating you,” said the Captain pompously.

But Anton had not finished his piece…..” Nooooo Siiiir, I usssssed tooooo driiiiink wiiiith Adddddmirals”.

I could not stop laughing and my laughter was not heard or felt because the other two officers laughed out so loud.

The Captain was aghast and speechless. He removed his spectacles a few times and put them back on.

And breaking the pin drop silence which followed the loud laughter, he invited others to re-fill their glasses. This time, passing the bottle to the Purser and nodding his head, "I will take that one… But, Anton, it never happened in the Indian Navy…” uttered the Captain.


Thereafter, from the way he treated the Purser, he appeared to have learnt to accept the Purser. We all make mistakes and he ( Captain) was a gentleman.

It turned out be a very good evening, at the end.

That night the Captain must have pondered over the whole scenario.

The next morning he wanted go to the doctor. We were surprised when he invited the Purser join him.

The agents were arranging a vehicle but as usual the Captain was in hurry and left the vessel to go to the agents’ office.

About two hours later the Captain returned to the vessel with the agent but the Purser was not anywhere around. Later we learnt that the Purser had been admitted to the accident ward of a private hospital as he had sustained minor injuries after an  accident.


As there had been no taxis – they had been forced to hire a three- wheeler to go to the city. On the way however it had collided with a truck.

The patient however returned to the vessel hale and hearty but the healthy man who went along to help the patient was now in pain - undergoing treatment.


A day later, with the grace of God, the Purser was discharged and brought back to the vessel as the doctor had declared him fit for work….


And he was recovering.

These are but mere happenings in this journey called life.

The gentlemen have now reached their destination. They are now in eternal rest. May their souls rest-in-peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment