Second Novel to be Launched 2014


 


John Priyantha de Silva – the only Sri Lankan seagoing captain to write a book in English

Captain John Priyantha de Silva, a veteran master mariner, is planning to launch his second book,

"The Sound of Many Waters" in 2014

"I am now adding the final touches to this novel, which deals more extensively on my life and times as a sailor in a career spanning 34 years", he said.

"I dedicate about four hours each day to my writing", he said in a telephone interview, while his cargo vessel was sailing out of the Trincomalee port for Padang, Indonesia last week.

"The calm serenity that surrounds a person in the middle of the ocean is a peace of mind that cannot be bought even for a million dollars," the seasoned sailor reasoned.

Capt. Priyantha de Silva’s first book ‘Through Deep Waters’, which captured vividly the thrills, joys and the agony of meeting, interacting and parting with many a soul from different walks of life, from different continents, during his extraordinary journeys around the globe, was launched in April this year.

"At that time I was the only Sri Lankan on the ship. I did not have the company of fellowmen and felt alone.

It was during this time that I sat down and wrote - hour after hour, taking a break only for tea in the evenings", he recalled.

During his three decades plus sea faring career, de Silva has served as a captain for 18 years. "My novels give expression to the long eventful years sailing over the seven seas".
Author and mariner, Priyantha de Silva has emerged as the only Sri Lankan seagoing captain to write a book in English summing up his life's experience.

"Be it at land or at sea, my heart will always remain at home, with my mother and my loved ones", he said. "My happiness is in the home".

"In my second book, I will also be recounting some of the nightmares I have faced, particularly in choppy seas, during my long seafaring career which has taken me to 68 countries across the Pacific, Australia, Papua

New Guinea and the Pacific Islands", de Silva said.

"It will be more descriptive and educative about matters of the world, both historically and geographically", he explained.

Priyantha is an old boy of St. Joseph's College, Colombo.



Reposted from the The Island-News

No comments:

Post a Comment