My first voyage - seafaring part 1

                                                        My first ship "Regent Reliance"       

On the 12th November 1973, I joined my first ship at the port of Colombo. Along with me there was another Sri Lankan and an Indian Cadet. On that day, I first went to church with my parents. We had a very simple celebration at home and proceeded to the Shipping office to sign on the vessel. Those days security was not strict as it is now and about 20 of my immediate family members including my maternal Grandmother went on board with me. The ship was moored to buoys mid-stream. The Officer in Charge of the Harbor Police helped us with transport by offering the Harbor Police motor launch.


I first met with the Chief Officer of the ship. He was an Indian, Mr. Ashok Mehra. He told me that there were two other cadets and for me to wait in the Junior Officers Mess room until the Captain arrived on board. The Captain was out when I boarded the ship. After looking around the ship my parents along with my relations left. My father was in tears at the time of leaving. Three of us, my brother, sister and myself were his whole world. Just before lunch we were informed that the Captain was on board and to meet him. The Captain was Stuart Brown, from U.K.



At the beginning it was a bit difficult for me to understand his accent but I got used to it soon. He was very smart and handsome. He looked elegant in the uniform. After having a brief chat with us he advised the chief officer to called the Bosun. In short it is Bosun but the correct term is Boatswain. He was a petty Officer and was the head of the Deck Crew. When he came in the Captain told him "Bosun, you make them good seamen and I will make them good officers". Thereafter the Third Officer showed us to our cabins. I shared a cabin with our Indian colleague. My sea life started at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment