I take a sudden decision to sign-off the ship

Although we believed the ship would be taken to Dubai for repairs, the owners have thought otherwise; repairs be carried out in Mumbai. 

Following instructions received from the owners, the ship proceeded to Mumbai for Dry Docking in order to carry out repairs. The Ship arrived in Mumbai after about seven days of sailing from Aden under the Monsoonal weather conditions. After about three days it was dry docked and we were informed that a formal inquiry will be conducted by the Mercantile Marine Department Surveyor in Bombay and also by the Class Surveyor. The Captain got very worried following receipt of the news of the formal inquiry. He came to my cabin and sat down in my day bunk and told me "I have six children and I do not want to lose this job. Please help me out in this situation". Then I told him "Sir, I really do not know how I could help you but whatever I could do I would certainly do for you”.

Captain, then called the chief officer, and asked him to help him. He immediately agreed and we had a meeting in the Captain’s day room. It was the first time he offered a drink to Chief Officer and I. Whatever had happened in the past, the Chief Officer was with me to help the Captain.

That night, I did not get any sleep. However, I decided to sign-off and proceed home. Early in the morning, I met with the captain and chief officer and informed them about my decision.  Thereafter, I sent in the request through the Master to the owners. It was granted and my repatriation was arranged.  Also, I told the captain, I took this decision as I did not want to lie to the surveyors, especially the MMD surveyor. Therefore, I was ready to sacrifice my job.

Around 9.00 a.m. the following day the Surveyors boarded the ship with the Senior Superintendent of the Company. While the Surveyors were interviewing the Captain, the Agent came on board, and I left the ship with him, and proceeded to airport.  The Superintendent was not happy to let me go but there was nothing much he could do about it. The Captain met me at the gangway as I was leaving and he was full of tears, embraced me and thanked me. But inside me I knew that my leaving was not going to do much good to him as there was more than required evidence to prove that the ship had gone off course and contacted a submerged reef.

I called my father from Mumbai airport and told him, I would be arriving in Colombo in about four hours. He was very surprised about the early sign-off, and said he will meet me at the airport. All the travelling expenses were deducted from my balance of wages and I had very little money left with me when I reached home.

My father, mother and sister were there at the Colombo Airport. They were very happy to see me back. They also asked the question why I had come so suddenly! My father was really sick when I came home as he had very high blood pressure and was under treatment.

Once my father was in a position to listen to me, I told him why I had to leave the ship and come home much earlier. He did not make any comments but by observing his facial expressions, and knowing my father’s way of thinking; I knew he was not in favor of my action, and did not endorse the same!


3 photos of port of Mumbai

                                                        Mazagon docks in Mumbai

No comments:

Post a Comment