I, finally made it.

I sat the First Mates Foreign Going Exam in July that year. I failed my Oral Exam and I had to repeat it. In the meantime, I got the results of my written exam on the 1st of August 1985 and according to the results I had passed well. But, to complete the full exam I had to pass the Orals. 

As suggested by our friends in Bandra, we moved out of the apartment in Four bungalow, Andheri and shifted back to stay at our friends, Roby and Philu's place.

We shifted our belongings to “Sai Datta Apartment” where Robby and his family lived, and returned the apartment to Amitha, Tarun’s wife. She was happy that we had maintained the apartment and all was well at the time of handing over.

I passed my orals, after three attempts, on the 2nd of December 1985.

From the Mercantile Marine Department Office, I went to Our Lady of The Holy Rosary’s church in Mahim. At the church, I lit candles and thanked Our Lord Jesus and Our Lady for their divine help.

I was happy! A free man, to say the least.

From the church I proceeded to the College and thanked all my teachers. Very specially, Capt. Joseph, Capt. Rewari and Capt. Subramaniam.

When I met Capt. Rewari, he invited me to his house for dinner later that day. They all were very happy that, finally, I had passed.

There were so many things to do on that day.                              

Next in the agenda was to go to the Air Lanka Office in Bombay and make a reservation to return home.

The 2nd was a Monday and I got a seat on the flight to Colombo on the 7th of December.

On completion of the reservation, I went to the Central Telegraph Office in Bombay and sent a cable to my wife informing her of my success on the exam and also of the arrival details.

There was very little money left.

In the evening, I went to Capt. Rewari’s residence and had dinner with them.

Thereafter, I had to celebrate with my friend Joe, who was waiting for me at home when I returned.

It was a simple celebration. Well, well, I had come the very hard way to reach the present situation.


                                                 Holy Rosary church in Mahim, Mumbai
Captain P.S.Barve (second from left) was the Chief Examiner of Masters and Mates at that time. He examined and passed me in my Oral exam.

1 comment: