Formed My Own Marine Survey Company

Two years later I resigned from the company I was working in and ventured into opening my own. It was a slow start but within about six months, I built up a fairly reasonable clientele. Most of our clients were from many parts of the world who had their ships calling at ports in Sri Lanka and India. 

I hired two individuals, as members of my staff whom I trained to assist me in different marine surveys. They were two young men who were educated and intelligent so they picked up the work fast. Most of the time, when there was work I went and started it for them and they followed up, and thankfully did very well.

The volume of work kept increasing and the need for assistants was essential. There were two college students who were looking for part-time work. My senior assistant who was in charge of administration, employed them to do mostly container work in the port of Colombo. With the remunerations they received, they were able to cover up their expenses as they both were from distant places.

I had to visit Australia to follow courses to re-validate my certificate as I had not sailed for some time. My staff took care of the work very well during this time, under the supervision of one of my contemporaries, also a Captain in the Merchant Navy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment