Things have changed with time...

Few days ago, I was on board a ship which was trading under British Flag and was registered in Cardiff, England.

The Master and crew on that ship were Chinese!

I sailed with a company that owned Refrigerated Cargo ships (Reefer ships) about twenty five years ago. At that time, all officers on-board were British, and I was a Junior officer. The other non-British Officer was the Third Engineer.

One of the Master's whom I sailed under, used to repeatedly tell me, that I will never be able to command one of those ships since I was not a British national. He made this comment all the time in the ship's bar, when most of the other officers were present.

When I saw all Chinese crew on a British ship, I was thinking of what that Captain used to tell me. 

If you're still around, I ask you, how did this happen, Sir?

No comments:

Post a Comment