Promoted to Second Officer


In mid-November 1976, our ship was called at Bombay and loaded cargo for Avon mouth and Rotterdam. To load the full ship, it took about three weeks. Just two days prior to sailing, Nevis our second Officer had some bad news from home and wanted to sign off.

The problem was to find his replacement. Finally, The Marine Superintendent met me in the presence of our Captain and asked if I could handle the Second Officer’s job for one voyage. That was to Europe and back. I said "Yes". He asked me a few questions and decided to promote me to 'Acting Second Officer.' The Captain told me not to worry, that he would help me. From there onwards, until I signed off, I was the Second Officer on that ship.

                                                            John Priyantha De Silva

No comments:

Post a Comment