One Very Unplesant Incident

Ship’s Radar Observer’s course was a part of our study program. We did this on board our training ship "Sir John Cass". The training ship was berthed in Rotherhithe. Another Sri Lankan student joined our batch only to follow the Radar Observer’s course. It was a two-week course, and every morning by 9.00 a.m. we were all on the ship. Soon after that, the ship left the berth and proceeded down the river Thames and returned only by 5.00 p.m.

On Friday of the first week of the Radar Observer course, the Sri Lankan student, Ram, and I boarded the train at Rotherhithe to come to central London. There were a few dock workers in the train and they were drunk. One of them came close to us and said "You black bastards you are smelling!" I understood the situation and I just kept quiet. Ram was new in London and retaliated with some harsh words. I tried my best to advise Ram to be quiet but he would not listen. At this time, two others joined and started assaulting both of us. I pulled Ram and jumped out of the train when it stopped at the next station. Those men also jumped out and continued to hit us. Ram was bleeding from his nose. So many people passed by and nobody, repeat nobody, even turned to look at what was going on. A Chinese gentleman came to our rescue and then those three men moved out. We thanked him and thanked God for sending him. Ram was trying to maintain a very brave face but I knew that he was in pain. There was blood all over his shirt. He was staying in Wembley park and he took the train in that direction while I boarded the train that brought me to Finchley Central. That was one very unpleasant incident that took place during the time I was studying in London.
                                   Section of the Rotherhithe Underground Station in London

No comments:

Post a Comment