The First Phase of Academicals

Highest sea-going qualification for the deck officers is the Master mariner. The Extra Masters which is like a Ph.D. is more of an academic qualification which was highly recognized, worldwide.

For Merchant Navy Officers there are phases of academicals for which we must enter a Nautical College. During our time, the first phase of studies was to prepare us to sit the exam to obtain the Second Mate Foreign Going Certificate. From the time I joined my first ship as an Officer cadet, I had accumulated sea time of about three and a half years which enabled me to enter college for the academicals. The required sea time was three years and three months. After looking at many options, I, finally opted to do my studies at Sir John Cass College in London and also at the Irish Nautical College in Cork, Ireland. During the time I worked on board I saved some money for my studies. But, later I found that was not enough and my parents and some friends helped me with the finances from time to time while I was studying in London and in Ireland. 

I joined Sir John Cass College in February 1978. During the time of my studies in London, I lived with some of my cousins in Finchley Central. We shared an apartment, cooked our meals and managed our lives.  During the summer holidays, I worked in a bakery in the Wembley area. I could not save much from what I earned because with that money I had a good summer with my cousins and friends.

It took around ten months for me to complete the first phase of my studies and sit the exam.

I passed my exam on December 16th that year. It was great because it was two days before my birthday. Soon after I passed the exam, I was offered a job with a British Shipping Company but since my Visa was only for the purpose of studies in the UK I was unable to join. After spending Christmas and the New Year with my relations and friends in London I flew to Venice to join a ship owned by the company that I had my training.  


                                                  Sir John Cass College in London


                                               Photo of Sir John Cass Training ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment