My Salutations to the Government of India

Capt. T.K. Joseph was the Principal of the College. He was residing in Santa Cruz and on some days we travelled together in the train from Bandra to Reay Road. At times, we talked about matters with regard to studies and also about past and present Sri Lankan students of the L.B.S. Nautical College. He always inquired after our welfare.

As an overseas student I paid Indian Rupees 500 as the capitation fee in addition to the same fees that any other Indian student in my class paid. In other parts of the world that did not happen. There was always a huge difference in fees between locals and overseas students. For this and for educating us I always have my salutations to the Government of India.   

In 1984 and up to about October 1985, I paid only 85.00 Indian Rupees per month as the tuition fees for college. My friends in Bandra have told me that, for a Montessori student in Bandra they paid about 100.00 Indian Rupees at that time. There was a big shortage of lecturers in the College. Due to this reason, Capt. Joseph, Capt. Rewari and Capt. Subramaniam had to work very hard. Apart from lecturing they also had to do much administrative work and marking of test papers, etc.,

Once when I was travelling in the train with Capt. Joseph, I told him, “Sir, I understand that, Bandra Montessori classes charge 100.00 Rupees from each child and I pay only 85.00 Rupees for First Mates F.G. tuitions. Why don't you suggest to the Indian Government to increase the tuition for us from Rs. 85.00 to atleast Rs 350.00 as well as the fees of other grades proportionately. With that, they can then increase the salaries of the present staff of the College and be able to absorb more lecturers.” 

He began to laugh and said “I am very glad that it came from an overseas student.” Then he went on to state that he can not do such things on his own but has to communicate with the Ministry of Transport of Central Government. However, I had a feeling that, he took serious note of my suggestion.   


No comments:

Post a Comment