I always enjoyed my stay in Mumbai

I was bored after my good friend Paul, left the ship. This is life after all. I thought it was necessary that I must try and move on. On board ships we work and live like a family. There are times we have arguments and fights but until the time is up for one to sign off and proceed on leave, we have to bear the struggles and continue. At times, we have to sail with multinational crew members who belong to different cultures, faith, and lifestyles. However, the common language on board, always, has been English. So far, I have been lucky because my superiors have been either the British or Indians. I was very fortunate to get training under them.

There was a hold up in loading the cargo, due to a long delay in supplying cargo to the ship. Indira dock is very busy place, just like all the other berths in the port of Mumbai. The port had decided to shift the ship to the inner anchorage until the cargo was ready for loading. It made things worse for me. However, it was not for long! The day the ship was shifted to anchorage, in the afternoon I got a call on VHF, and it was my former colleague and pal; Ritchie Rodriguez. He was on leave at that time. Ritchie was calling from another ship docked in Mumbai, and the purpose was to invite me to his birthday party which was on the following day. I was so excited after receiving the invitation, that I decided to ask for permission from the Captain to go ashore. It was granted. I asked the Captain if I could stay ashore for two nights. He said, I could but since I am not an Indian, he wanted
the agents to take care of me when I was ashore. After speaking with the agents, Captain asked what I was going to do ashore for two days? I, then, explained to him about Ritchie’s birthday and, a short break after that, to see some my friends. I was glad; permission was granted. I, immediately got some clothes ready stay to ashore, and left the following morning. As soon as I came to the Ballard Pier, the agent was waiting and took me straight to the Merchant Navy club in Mumbai, and got myself a room. As it was a personal matter, the charges were not to the company account, and I had to pay all the bills. The charges were very nominal. After, placing my little bag in the room, I called Ritchie and informed him that I was ashore.

That evening I went for the party, and it was a fantastic one. It was held at the Radio Club, with a live band in attendance who provided good music that went along with the multitude of food and drinks that were available. I met his girlfriend and a few other flight attendants working for Air India. Most of the girls had their boyfriends with them. I heard that they were talking of one of their colleagues who had arrived in Mumbai just that morning. She had been working in the Australian sector for about three weeks.

I was not bored or lonely at all. The person whom the friends were talking about arrived and I was introduced to her. She was Sangeetha. My immediate observation was she was very proud and stiff. I had anyway made up my mind to have a good time and leave the place by midnight. The party was setting to go on until the early hours of the following morning. At one time I found that Sangeetha and I were the only people seated at that table. She then came around and started talking with me. She was a very beautiful girl.

She told me that she was from Simla and it was not possible to travel whenever she was on short breaks because of the distance. Her parents and one brother were living there. The other brother was a Civil Engineer working and living in Delhi with his family. We exchanged pleasantries and after a few minutes or so, joined the others on the dance floor. Although I planned to leave around mid-night, it did not happen. I left the place with Sangeetha and got into a taxi. First I took her to the boarding house in Bandra, and I went back to the Merchant Navy Club. It was around 4.00 a.m. when I reached.  

On the following day, I did not go out anywhere in the morning. By about 12 noon, I was very  hungry and decided to have a good Goan meal at the famous City Kitchen, in Fort Bombay.




Photo of section of Mumbai port- Gate way to India and the Taj Mahal Hotel




                                                    Photo of the Radio Club in Mumbai

                          
                         

                         

                                                           Photos of City Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment