The ship back in Avonmouth



The next port was Avonmouth. This was the second time the ship was called at this port.

Just two hours after berthing the ship, an officer from the International Transport Workers Federation (ITF) boarded the vessel. Although we were not aware, some of the officers and crew had sent a petition with regard to low wages paid onboard. He first met the Master and then wanted to inspect the wages files. While he was going through the files, another colleague of his joined him, who then started interviewing all officers and crew.

When it came to my turn, he asked me about my wages and I told him that I was an uncertificated Second Officer and therefore it was not fair to ask for such a big wage. As I remember, I was drawing a salary of about US Dollars 500 a month at that time. As per the I.T.F. structure, my wages should have been about US Dollars 1700. I still declined to enter into I.T.F. agreement and told him that it was not fair for me to betray the company which gave me employment. He told me that he was not interested in my explanations, and that I should be paid according to their scales, regardless of my being an uncertificated officer.

Most of the senior officers and some of the crew did not enter into ITF agreement, and therefore did not receive the ITF wages. All the others who signed the ITF agreement had to be paid according to the ITF scale with around three months of back wages. The company’s lawyers from London came the following day. By that time on the instructions of ITF England, the Harbor Master of Avonmouth had issued detention orders for the ship.

The cargo was stopped until the matter was resolved, as the Dock Workers Union was also affiliated to the ITF. There was a total of about 34 officers and crew on board. Out of this, 23 received ITF wages. On settlement of the dues, the detention order was lifted and cargo work resumed. Following this incident, an unpleasant atmosphere was building between the people on board who joined the ITF, and those who did not.



On completion of loading the cargo, the ship sailed out on the 15th of February 1977 bound for the first port, Mersin in Turkey.


No comments:

Post a Comment