Carrying Essential Food Items To The North And East Of Sri Lanka

My ship was in Colombo, after towing a disabled Maldivian vessel which was drifting at sea about 120 miles South East of the port of Colombo. It was during the South West monsoons and the weather was very rough. I remember when we approached and got closer to the vessel, first we checked with the Master if there were any sick people on board. Fortunately, there weren't any sick people but they needed fresh water and food. Thankfully, we were able to supply some fresh water through a small flexible pipe, and transfer some food. The towline was then connected and the vessel was brought safely to the port of Colombo. It was a good operation; rescuing life at sea.

Around the same time, when the ethnic war erupted in July of 1990, all communication and transport to the North of Sri Lanka came to a stand still. This created a situation in the North and in some parts of the East of Sri Lanka where the Government had no way of sending foodstuff and essentials. People living in those areas had the wolf at their doors.

It was around this time that the Department of Essential services which came under purview of the Ministry of Social Services had approached our Company seeking help to transport foodstuff and essential items to the North.

I remember, one day a few Government officials including the Commissioner General of Essential Services came onboard. While talking with me he asked if my crew and I were agreeable to go to the North with some essential items. He further asked if I would ask for an extra allowance for going into an area considered to be dangerous due to the ongoing war. I told him that I was ready but I have to check with my crew and would let him know. He requested for an answer immediately, if possible.

The total number of officers and ratings onboard at that time was about 19. All 19 persons were Sinhalese. While all government officials and our company directors waited in my cabin, I went down and had a meeting with all my officers and crew - they all were ready to go to the North and declined any extra payment. This was conveyed to all who were waiting in my cabin. They left the vessel with a lot of regard for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment