First Command


When I was waiting to meet the Director of Operations at Sri Lanka Shipping Company, I was thinking to myself, well if it is another ship to the Company then I do not have to go job hunting. Most definitely I will get a job as Chief Officer. By this time I had already had five years of experience as the Chief Officer with the company.  Since I had just obtained my Masters certificate I did not have any experience of being in command of a vessel and as a result the chances of me being given the opportunity were rather slim. 



It was almost closing time, when I finally saw all the people who were at the meeting walking out of the board room. The Director of Operations called me and he said “ John, there is good news for us and for you!” “The good news for us is that we decided to go in for a multipurpose vessel and take it over in Singapore in May." "The good news for you is that we have decided to give you command of that vessel.” It was news that I never expected. I thanked God and thanked him from the bottom of my heart.  



He further said, “Be prepared to leave around the 14th of May and be touch with my secretary for further details. I will meet you for a briefing before that, and I will let you know in a day or two.”



God has always been so good!



I immediately called my wife and conveyed the best news that I could possibly have had in my life. She was very happy to hear about it. Soon after, I called my mother and gave the news. That night I invited few close friends and had a small celebration at a Restaurant in Colombo. 

On May 16th, I, along with the superintendent and few other crew members left for Singapore to take over the new vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment