Job Hunting


After arriving in Sri Lanka, and taking a short break, I decided to send in a few applications to find a job at sea.  This was around the first week of May. My sister-in-law helped me in preparing an application using her office computer although I still was not sure to which Shipping Companies I ought to send my application. However, I made sure that my very first application was submitted to Sri Lanka Shipping Company. I met with the Director Operations and, handed over my application personally to him. I was always very confident that he will help me, somehow or the other.



Few days later, I visited a friend of mine at his office - an ex-Captain whom I had sailed with.  While I was chatting and having some tea with him, my wife called me and said there was a call from the secretary of Sri Lanka Shipping Company who had requested I meet with the Director of Operations this afternoon. Following that message, I immediately returned home and called the secretary to find out the time of my appointment. She said that I ought to come around 2.00 p.m.



I was there well before that time. When I informed the secretary that I was going to be in the waiting area she said, “There is a board meeting going on, it was stopped for lunch and resumed only about fifteen minutes ago, so please wait.” I said “OK” and went and sat with the Operations Manager, who was a very senior member of the staff. I am not a stranger to the Office or to the Company, as such I was very well treated whenever I visited them.    



While talking with me, the secretary mentioned that the Company is going to buy a multipurpose vessel and the meeting could be to take a final decision on that matter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment