I Went To An Unknown Destination

We returned to a warm Christmas spirit in Sri Lanka after having spent an enjoyable vacation in India. Christmas and New Year celebrations were wonderful to say the least, but now, it was time to get back to work. For me to get a re-appointment on my earlier ship I had to wait till about April. I couldn't wait that long and was on the hunt for a job.

It was around this time, a friend of mine, also a Captain, called and asked if I could take over command of a ship which they were managing, as the Captain currently onboard needed to return home as soon as possible to attend to an urgent domestic matter.

I agreed to take up the job and left Sri Lanka to join the ship in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania. After I went on-aboard I realized that I had come to take over a ship in very bad condition, in every which way. The ship had no proper trading certificates and had a lot of administrative and mechanical problems. The crew had not received their wages for about four months and the main and auxiliary engines were in a dilapidated state. The Captain pleaded with me to help him by taking over command of the vessel, so that he could leave to attend to a very urgent family matter.

On the assurance given by the owners that the trading certificates would be put in order prior to departure from Dar-es-Salaam, and the crews wages will be paid as soon as possible, I agreed to take over command and relieve the Captain on-board.

Three days later, the valid trading certificates were placed on-board and I took command of the vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment