My Vacation in Mumbai


Few days after I signed off the ship, We visited Mumbai. It was to spend a holiday there meeting my friends and teachers at Lal Bhadur Shastri Nautical & Engineering College. While we were in Bombay I visited Capt. Subramaniam and his family. When I was there he invited me for the passing out parade of the cadets of T.S. “Rajendra” and for lunch thereafter. At that time, he was the Captain Superintendent of the ship. I was privileged and honoured to be an invitee for such an important event.



T.S. (Training Ship) “Rajendra” was the training ship of that kind after the famous “Dufferin.” The cadets who passed out of those training ships were considered the cream of Indian Marine society and, there was no doubt about it. Merchant Navy cadets not only from India, but also from countries which includes, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Iran, etc. were also trained.



Many of the top people in the Sri Lankan shipping circle are also from the aforementioned training ships. The passing out parade was spectacular. There were many Extra Masters of India who attended the ceremony.



The Extra Master qualification is the highest qualification in Merchant Marine. With that qualification, one could work as a lecturer in a nautical college, an examiner or as a nautical surveyor. 

                                                          

At lunch I was glad to meet many of these distinguished persons in the Indian Merchant Marine. Some of them had been my teachers while others had been my examiners. There was a very common question; Why did you go to Australia for your Masters???



I am forever grateful to the Government of India for educating us Sri Lankans and for not burdening us with heavy College fees. We were only charged a capitation fee of Indian Rupees five hundred, the only extra charged levied on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment