Vessel Heading For Final Destination

The vessel sailed from Dar-es-Salaam to Madagascar. During the voyage I found out from the Radio Officer that there was hardly any provisions for the crew. When I went to check the provisions store and the cold rooms, the provisions we had would have lasted only a week.

The Captain whom I helped, told me there was enough provisions to last a month and showed me proof of bills at the time of taking over command. It appears, however, that he had taken the money but had not actually ordered provisions prior to leaving the vessel. Now I was in great trouble.

When the vessel arrived in Mahajunga, Madagascar I put my own money and some from the Radio Officer and Chief Officer who were kind enough to offer their assistance, and went ashore to buy provisions which we estimated, according to the cook, to last three weeks.

Thereafter, there were a myriad of problems and I informed the owners that I needed to be relieved as soon as possible.

Finally, I told them, "Your ship cannot sail under these conditions." After I pressurized them, they did some temporary repairs to the hull and machinery and paid the crew their wages up to date.

I was glad when the owners finally decided to scrap the ship. After discharging the cargo we loaded in the Port of Mahajunga in Tuticorin, India, the vessel proceeded to a port in Iran and loaded Sulfur in bulk for Mumbai, India. As the cargo was being discharged, the owners sent some people to remove all good mooring ropes from the ship since upon completion in Mumbai, the vessel was headed to Mangalore, India to beach for demolition.

I advised them to keep at least four good mooring ropes, instead of taking them all. The end result was, while leaving the Mumbai harbor, the rope given to the tug parted as it was being pulled out of the dock. The ship went and contacted the pedestal of the gantry crane. The gantry started to shake, and due to this reason the lifting wire rope of the same parted from the top. There was a big damage. The ship was detained in the Port of Mumbai and the owners had to pay a very big amount as compensation.  

After all these episodes, the vessel finally proceeded to Mangalore and was beached for demolition.

No comments:

Post a Comment