Meeting with Erina

When Erina said she wanted to meet me the following day; I was startled and surprised at this! It was a welcome invitation too. She was a very pretty girl. The following day, I went to the Hotel Leningrad with Peter. As we were walking up to the entrance, I looked back and saw Erina and her sister-in-law were right behind us. Erina was left with us and her sister-in-law advised me to bring her back home. I was so happy with this girl, but the problem was, Peter got bored and frustrated. That day I found him drinking much quicker than usual. He danced with Erina once and suddenly decided to leave. He told me that he would go around and look for some other place, a restaurant or a night club for a change. I remained with Erina. I took her home around 10.30 p.m. but we continued to talk while in the house. She had brought a Russian-English dictionary. From time to time she dipped into it.

The company was so good that I did not feel the time pass. It was around 11.50 p.m. when I left her and came up to the road. I started to run as I did not want to be late. Then I saw a jeep following me at slow speed. When I stopped, the jeep also came and stopped near me. There was an Army Officer seated in the front seat. He asked me where I was going. I told him "I was going to the port, to my ship." He asked the name of the ship and I said "Regent Reliance." He told me that I was going in the wrong direction and, asked me to get into the jeep that he would take me to the ship.

When I reached the ship I was 10 minutes late. The time was 12.10 p.m. The Army Officer said something to the  guard and the guard signaled me to go on board. I thanked the Officer and the two other soldiers who were in the jeep and quickly went up the gangway. As I was going up, the Army Officer told me, "In future do not get late and you must know to respect and comply with the regulations of this country." I apologized and assured him that it will not be repeated. They left and I went into the Accommodation. The Third Officer, who was on duty met me and said that the Captain was waiting for me, as I was the only person who had not returned to the ship at midnight. I knew that I was in trouble but went into the captain’s day room, anyway. When he saw me, he called me in and reprimanded me for returning late. Thereafter he showed me a form that he had signed, assuring that all the crew would comply with rules and regulations whilst in the port. The Captain took my shore pass and said "No shore leave for you until departure." He then, told me "John, you kept me awake all this time and now you must have a drink with me." It was a long drink, just like what we were used to with Capt. Willie (former Master of the ship). While having the drink with Capt. Turner, the current Master, I told him exactly what had happened. I mentioned Erina, too. When I finished with him it was around 2.00 a.m.

I stayed on board the following day and sent a message to Erina through Peter. Peter returned to the ship early and that was welcoming as I was waiting for some company. We started our evening session when the captain’s steward came and told me that the Captain was looking for me. I went up and he asked me what I was doing. I said "I was just about to have a drink with Peter." Then he told me to invite Peter also to join us. The three of us had a small party and it went on till about midnight. At that time the Captain checked with the Duty Officer about the crew who had gone ashore. The Duty officer reported that all were on board and with that we called it a day.

Captain Turner called me in the morning and returned my shore pass and said that he would be joining us in the night. That evening again we met Erina, her brother and sister-in-law at the Hotel Leningrad. I introduced them to the Captain, and he invited them to join us; they accepted his invitation.

Music was good as usual and we danced. Erina whispered to me and asked if we could go and sit somewhere else as she wanted to talk to me. Since it was difficult to do so, we continued to be in the company of others until all of us had dinner and left the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment