Vessel arriving at Port of Cork

On the 25th, Christmas morning at 6.00 a.m., the pilot boarded the ship to take it to Cork. The Port of Cork was situated up River Lee. Whilst proceeding along the river he showed us his house; it was well lit and decorated. The ship was berthed around 8.00 a.m. Paul, our purser, was busy in the first hour or so because he had to attend to inward clearance formalities.

Thereafter, the Christmas celebrations on board began! All officers and the ratings joined. The chief cook had prepared an excellent Christmas cake to go with breakfast. Around 10.00 a.m., while the party was going on, a Reverend Father boarded the vessel and joined us. He was Fr. Lennon, a Catholic priest from Cork. He had come to invite all on board for the Christmas Party in the Stella Maris Club which was also called "Anchor House”. Anchor House was the Seafarers’ club in Cork. There were many Irish girls there who worked as volunteers. It was a nice evening.

I started talking with Rose Healy one of the girls who was there. Thereafter, I met Rose a few more times until we sailed. She became a very good friend of mine. At that time, I was planning to go to the United Kingdom to Join a Nautical College, and study for my first professional exam. During those days, it was called the Second Mate’s (Foreign Going) exam. As I came from a Commonwealth country, it was necessary for me to do the exam in one of the following countries, the United Kingdom, Ireland, India, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand or Canada. I discussed the matter with Rose, as the Irish Nautical College was situated in Cork. One day, Rose took me to the Nautical College where I met the Principal who was kind enough to advise me on how to enroll as a bona-fide student. I collected all the necessary forms and left the college. Rose drove me around in her little Fiat 500. Thanks to her, I was fortunate enough to see some interesting places in Cork.


No comments:

Post a Comment