Voyage from Mumbai to Cork

The next voyage was from Mumbai to Cork in Ireland. It was the month of December and as the ship crossed the Suez Canal, we were beginning to feel the winter in the Mediterranean Sea. The sea was very rough. We came out of the Gibraltar straits and crossed over to the Spanish coast. Thereafter, we enjoyed good weather until the ship reached the Bay of Biscay. There we experienced precarious weather which lasted for about 18 hours. It was the 21st of December 1976, I asked the Captain, "Sir when do you think we will get to Cork?" After pondering for a few minutes, he replied "On the 24th at 24:00 hours". He said it quite confidently. True enough, the ship anchored off Cobh river entrance, exactly at 24:00 hours on the 24th of December. I still remember when the Captain ordered to drop anchor, from the dim Compass light he looked at me to say something like, "How was it, son?" It was truly a great feeling. I respect all my Captains for teaching and helping me to have a great sea career.  


                                                                 Port of Cork

River Lee - waterway to Cork 

No comments:

Post a Comment