Present day Mariners

I visit a ship to attend to surveys almost every other day.  During last three years, I have hardly found  any Officers or ratings on  board a ship from the U.K. or from any of the Scandinavian countries. Instead, present day seafarers mostly are Filipinos, Indians, Chinese, Russians, Ukrainians, and from few other countries.

Then what happened to the Britishers , Scandinavians, and Greeks? Once when I met a  Captain of a ship from Netherlands, I asked  him why we do not find aforementioned nationalities on board ships, any more?

His answer was, what they earn ashore is almost similar to what is earned at sea. Then, why does any one want to leave the families and go to sea and live a lonely life! Although the answers was acceptable, there was still something missing, to my understanding. 


No comments:

Post a Comment